Friday, November 18, 2016

Four Things I Learned Without Social Media

By Sophie Wood
Hemisphere Staff Writer

When people choose to give up social media, it can be to avoid drama, disconnect from their iPhone, or some other personal reason.
In my situation, I was forced to abandon social media as a punishment.
71 percent of teens use more than one social media app, and I had multiple as well. So it was a pretty big culture shock for me to go completely off all of the platforms.

1. There's more pressure to look good 24/7, when you don't take any selfies.

Whenever I posted a picture online, I was almost always wearing makeup. So on the days I didn't wear it, I pretty much just didn't post any pictures. This led to more pressure for me to look good all the time, since people couldn't just look on my Instagram to see me at my best.


2. It's really awkward to ask people for their number every time you want to talk to them. 

Usually, (wether you have a crush on someone or you're just friends) you just get their snap chat or Instagram, and you're instantly able to talk. But without social media.. it's a bit awkward to ask for someone's number without sounding like you're flirting.

3. It can be a bit freeing. 

Although social media is fun, not having to worry about followers and likes and if someone is posting about you, is also fun. It's nice knowing you have nothing to stress over.

4. Your friends get cut in half. 

Only having people's phone numbers, makes a lot of people inaccessible to you. Being such an extrovert, it's really lonely only talking to the (roughly) 100 or so people on your contacts.


When people choose to give up social media, it can be to avoid drama, disconnect from their iPhone, or some other personal reason.
In my situation, I was forced to abandon social media as a punishment. It's not fun and I miss it, but I learned these things.
.
Statistics:
http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/04/09/teens-social-media-technology-2015/

No comments:

Post a Comment