Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Christmas Traditions at Western High School

by Logan Howe
Hemisphere Staff Writer

Starting in October, some people start getting ready for the meca of the holiday season... Christmas. The traditions, presents, and most of all, family, make everyone feel warmth and comfort during the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.
Why is Christmas my personal favorite? Playing Martha Stewart 24/7 and excessively adding glue and glitter to any piece of decor I can, this includes my dog. Christmas is never simple, and shouldn’t ever be simple. It’s not a time for an 1800’s moth eaten Santa decoration, throw that out, grab some tinsel, and begin to throw it at anyone and anything.
Thinking about my obsession made me curious about other people’s Christmas traditions and Yuletide cheer. I approached many people on the topic and got mixed answers that I wasn’t expecting.
“The Fourth of July”, Kimberly Shore stated after being asked what her favorite holiday is. The room gasped, eyes were rolled, and glares were given. She began to back up her claim by describing the late summer nights, children playing, and warm weather... Someone tell her that this is real life, not Grease. Christmas is key.
“I start playing Christmas music the day after thanksgiving” Therese Lefere stated. Many others said that they started playing Christmas tunes as early as October. “July” Lauren Luplow said in a loud and excited voice, clearly happy that Christmas is almost here.
One of the key ingredients to the perfect Christmas is the music. “All I Want for Christmas by Mariah Carey” Justin Macchia said regarding his favorite Christmas song. Other answers are listed below:
Therese Lefere: (Begins singing) “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas”
Kim Shore: “Silent Night, but when I want to get in the mood for shopping, I listen to All I Want for Christmas by Mariah Carey.”
Allie McCrum: “Straight up, a classic, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer”
Lauren Luplow: “Last Christmas by WHAM!”
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose. Sorry Nat King Cole, but none of your traditions relate to today’s kiddos. “We have two different trees. One for Santa’s presents and one for Mom and Dad’s presents” Kim Shore said, nervous that her tradition is anormal. “We go to a Christmas tree farm and I try to chop down the tree, but I can’t.” Justin Macchia explained.

“O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree” I sing as I pay 70 dollars for the blessed fraser fir. It takes an army to decorate my tree. Just kidding, touch my tree and you will be kicked out of my house faster than Lindsay Lohan leaving rehab.
I am very proud of my peers and their Christmas spirit. The Christmas fanatic, Allie McCrum, stated that she looks forward to “staring at the Christmas tree until my retinas burn out”. Happy holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment